In this episode of She Renovates, Bernadette Janson interviews Tyrone Hyde, an expert in property depreciation. They discuss the changes in tax laws regarding depreciation and how it affects property investors. Tyrone explains the limitations on claiming depreciation for secondhand items and the advantages for those who buy brand new properties. They also touch on exceptions to the rule and the importance of inspections for maximising depreciation claims.
Whether you’re a renovator or a property investor, this episode provides valuable insights into the world of property depreciation and how recent tax law changes have affected the industry. Tune in to learn more about depreciation basics, exemptions, and the importance of understanding these concepts for your property ventures.
Watch the Episode on Video:
- 00:00 – Introduction
- 00:50 – Background of the guest, Tyrone Hyde
- 02:50 The ins and outs of depreciation
- 04:30 Different rules for commercial property and residential property
- 08:00 Depreciation of new plant equipment installed by renovators
- 13:00 Importance of keeping receipts and documentation
- 14:00 Discussion on substantial renovation and guidelines
- 18:00 Differentiating between repair and capital improvements in renovation projects
- 19:50 Conversation on living in Bali and the Green School experience
- 21:40 Launch date for “10 with Ty” podcast (1st of July)
Washington Brown Website
The School Of Renovating
She Renovates Podcast